About Reach Out Mbuya HIV Initiative
Reach Out Mbuya (ROM) is a Faith-Based Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), founded in 2001 to provide HIV/AIDS care to the urban poor living with HIV/AIDS. ROM aims to curb the further spread of HIV among the less privileged members of the community it serves and enable those already living with HIV/AIDS to live a responsible and dignified life. Offering a unique model of care, ROM holistically focuses on the body, mind, family, and community wellbeing.
The statements herein are a description of the general nature and level of work being performed or to be performed. They are not intended as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Job Title : Counsellor (1)
Duty station : Mbuya
Department/Section : Medical – Counselling
Directly Reports to : Counselling Supervisor
Directly Supervises : None
Main purpose of the job: To provide HIV counselling to clients, their families and community members, and to mobilize and support communities to respond to the HIV epidemic.
Key Result Areas
- Comprehensive HIV counselling services provided
- Clients empowered with skills for self-reliance
- Clients referred to appropriate medical and psychosocial services
- Home-based counselling and testing provided
- Health talks on HIV prevention conducted
- Peer support groups established and supported
Duties and responsibilities
- Implement the family-based approach in the care of all patients including the provision of couple counselling Provide counselling services to all ROM clients
- Conduct home visits to clients and their family members as per the schedule and /or clients on ART for adherence support.
- Refer ROM clients to appropriate medical and psychosocial services to MARPs and general population.
- Provide home-based HIV counselling and testing to household members of ROM Clients.
- Conduct health talks on HIV prevention and other HIV issues
- Establish and support peer support groups for clients i.e. participate in support clubs.
- Plan and provide Assisted partner notification for all eligible patients in care.
- Organise and provide HIV testing using the social network strategy.
- Maintain activity records and consolidate monthly community reports.
- Linking clients with spiritual needs to religious institutions/persons in the community
- Provide Intensive adherence counselling for non-virally suppressed clients in care as per the MOH guidelines.
- Identify, counsel and document services provided to GBV victims in care and the community.
- Compile weekly, monthly and quarterly reports for the counselling section and MARPS activities.
- Ensure the spiritual aspect of ROM holistic model is integrated into HIV care at all levels.
- Ensure health, safety, and security in your area of operation.
- Promote the vision, mission and the values of ROM.
- And any other duty assigned by the supervisor.
PERSONNEL SPECIFICATIONS: Counsellor
Minimum academic qualifications: Diploma in any of the following fields Social Sciences, Education, SWSA, and Development studies, Community and Adult Education, Community Psychology, Guidance and Counselling.
Additional Training/Qualification Necessary: HIV counselling certificate (3 months and above), Training of Trainers, Child Counselling Certificate
Minimum Experience and Exposure: 1 year in HIV Counselling
Special Knowledge Required: Trends and developments in HIV/AIDS counselling, Rights of PLWHAs
Key Skills Necessary: Counselling skills, Interpersonal skills, Communication skills, Computer skills
Other Qualities/Attributes: Integrity, Empathy, Patience, Confidentiality, Ability to work under mental and physical stress
How to Apply:
• Send a cover letter and CV/resume with 3 professional referees in PDF format as one document and must not exceed 6 pages to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 5.00 p.m. Wednesday, 19th June 2019. No need of attaching other documents at this level. Or apply online at www.reachoutmbuya.org/jobs
• Include title of Job in email subject line.