Latest Jobs at ROM
9th February, 2021
About Reach Out Mbuya Community Health Initiative
Reach Out Mbuya Community Health Initiative (ROM) is a Faith-Based Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), founded in 2001 to provide HIV/AIDS care to the urban poor living with HIV/AIDS through a holistic approach that takes care of the whole person, including the needs of the body, mind, family and community. ROM health care programs include HIV Care Continuum Management, maternal and child health care, OVC case management and Non-communicable diseases management. In addition, community economic empowerment, Gender-Based Violence prevention plus learning and development through cutting-edge research to support the holistic model of intervention.
The statements herein are a description of the general nature and level of work being performed or to be performed. They are not intended as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Job Title: Legal Assistant (1)
Duty Station: ROM Head Office Mbuya
Reports to: Community & Social Support Manager
Duration: 1-year renewable contract with 3-month initial probation
Engagement type: Full time
Start Date: Not later than 1st March 2021.
Position overview: Responsible for carrying out duties in a legal setting under the guidance of attorneys, including giving legal advice, researching information for court cases, and presenting cases in court for ROM clients, staff & the organization plus creating community awareness on gender-based violence.
Key Result Areas:
- Legal information provided to staff and clients.
- Clients assisted in preparing affidavits and trial proceedings.
- Gender based violence cases do
- Reports submitted.
Key Duties and responsibilities
- Support in drafting and reviewing of legal documents.
- Conduct legal research, advice and represent ROM staff in court on legal matters with attorney’s guidance.
- Interpret laws, rulings, and regulations for staff, clients & ROM.
- Prepare and file legal documents such as lawsuits, appeals, contracts and deeds.
- Link and work closely with relevant structures to ensure clients and OVC are protected and are accessing appropriate and relevant services in line to legal support.
- Assist in the development of an action plan framework to address key issues of concern for clients and OVCs, arising from the monitoring and reporting of violations and supports actions and strategies developed in response to incidents or violations of children’s (OVCs) and client’s rights.
- Oversee and put in place capacity building for communities’ structures through ongoing mentoring to improve service provision (prevention, protection and response), referral networks, monitoring of child rights abuses and strengthening the legal framework of the organization.
- Ensure the program provides a platform for children and clients to express their ideas and opinions on their rights and responsibilities through child participation and client participation in different organizational programs.
- Prepare work plans, budgets and submit reports as required.
- Ensure health, safety, and security in your area of operation, and promote the vision, mission and the values of Reach Out Mbuya.
- Any other duties assigned by the immediate supervisor.
PERSONNEL SPECIFICATIONS: Legal Assistant
Minimum academic qualifications required: Degree in law, Community Development and any other related discipline.
Other Job-related Training Required: Human Rights, memory writing, counseling.
Key skills required:
- Communication Skills
- IT skills.
- Organizational Skills.
- Legal research skills.
- Legal writing skills.
- Proficient at multi-tasking.
How to Apply:
• Send a cover letter and CV/resume with 3 professional referees as one document to email@example.com not later than 5.00 p.m. Friday, 19th February 2021.
• Include title of Job in email subject line.
• Both cover letter and CV/Resume must not exceed 6 pages and should be saved as pdf or Ms. Word. No need of attaching other documents at this level.
• The single document attachment not to exceed 50kb.